Chocolate Mousse Torte
You've gotta try this fudgy brownie with creamy mousse all wrapped up into one deliciously decadent dessert.
Prep: 35 min | Total: 5 hr 10 min | Yield: 16 servings
- 1 (10.25 ounce) pouch Betty Crocker® fudge brownie mix
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 (11.5 ounce) bags semisweet chocolate chunks (3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup toffee bits
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint (2 cups) whipping cream
- Additional powdered sugar, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of 9-inch springform pan with shortening or cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, stir brownie mix, oil, water and egg until smooth.
- Stir in 1 bag of the chocolate chunks. Pour batter into pan; spread evenly.
- Sprinkle pecans and toffee bits over batter; press in lightly.
- Bake for 27 to 32 minutes or until center is set.
- Cool completely on wire rack, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Run sharp knife around side of pan to loosen brownie layer.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave 1 cup of the remaining chocolate chunks uncovered on HIGH
for 1 minute; stir until smooth.
- In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Beat melted chocolate into cream cheese mixture.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the whipping cream. In chilled large bowl, beat remaining whipping cream on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold chocolate-cream cheese mixture into whipped cream until no white streaks remain. Spoon mousse over brownie layer, smoothing top.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours or until mousse is set.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chunks uncovered on HIGH for 1 minute; stir until smooth.
- Stir in reserved 1/4 cup whipping cream until smooth.
- Run thin, flexible spatula around side of pan to loosen torte; remove side of pan.
- Spoon warm chocolate mixture over top of mousse, allowing some to drizzle down sides. Smooth top of torte with thin, flexible spatula.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until serving.
- Just before serving, gently place 4 inch snowflake stencil on torte. Using fine wire-mesh strainer, sift additional powdered sugar over stencil. Carefully lift stencil from torte; repeat for additional snowflakes.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
Skip the stencil top and just sprinkle more nuts or toffee bits over the torte.
To make the design on top of the torte, use a purchased stencil or one you make yourself using paper or vellum.
Per serving: Calories 520 (Calories from Fat 310); Total Fat 35g (Saturated Fat 18g, Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 135mg; Total Carbohydrate 49g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 39g); Protein 5g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 10%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 7 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 3
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: