Chocolate Mousse Torte
You've gotta try this fudgy brownie with creamy mousse all wrapped up into
one deliciously decadent dessert.
- 1 pouch (10.25 ounce) Betty Crocker® fudge brownie mix
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 (11.5 ounce) bags semisweet chocolate chunks (3 1/2
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup toffee bits
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pint (2 cups)
- Additional powdered sugar, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of 9-inch springform pan with
shortening or cooking spray. In medium bowl, stir brownie mix, oil, water and egg
until smooth. Stir in 1 bag of the chocolate chunks. Pour batter into pan; spread
evenly. Sprinkle pecans and toffee bits over batter; press in lightly.
- Bake 27 to 32 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely on wire rack, about
1 hour 30 minutes. Run sharp knife around side of pan to loosen brownie layer.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave 1 cup of the remaining chocolate chunks
uncovered on High 1 minute; stir until smooth. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese,
1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until
smooth. Beat melted chocolate into cream cheese mixture.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the whipping cream. In chilled large bowl, beat remaining
whipping cream on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold chocolate-cream cheese
mixture into whipped cream until no white streaks remain. Spoon mousse over brownie
layer, smoothing top. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until mousse is set.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chunks uncovered
on High 1 minute; stir until smooth. Stir in reserved 1/4 cup whipping cream until
smooth. Run thin, flexible spatula around side of pan to loosen torte; remove side
of pan. Spoon warm chocolate mixture over top of mousse, allowing some to drizzle
down sides. Smooth top of torte with thin, flexible spatula. Refrigerate 30 minutes
or until serving.
- Just before serving, gently place 4-inch snowflake stencil on torte. Using fine
wire-mesh strainer, sift additional powdered sugar over stencil. Carefully lift
stencil from torte; repeat for additional snowflakes.
Prep Time: 35 min
Total Time: 5 hours 10 min
Yield: 16 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
Simplify: Skip the stencil top and just sprinkle
more nuts or toffee bits over the torte.
Special Touch: To make the design on top of
the torte, use a purchased stencil or one you make yourself using paper or vellum.
Nutrition Information 1 Serving: Calories 520 (Calories from Fat 310); Total
Fat 35g (Saturated Fat 18g, Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 135mg; Total
Carbohydrate 49g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 39g); Protein 5g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 10%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 7 Fat Carbohydrate
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photograph courtesy Betty Crocker © 2008 ®/TM General Mills.