Christmas Stocking Cake
You'll get plenty of oohs and aahs with this charmingly decorated cake.
- 2 2/3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups C&H Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
or margarine, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- Green food coloring
- Red candies
- 3 3/4 cups C&H Pure Cane Powdered
Sugar (1 pound box)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk or half-and-half
- Generously grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Line the bottom with wax or parchment
paper. Grease and flour paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. In large mixing
bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating
well after each addition. Add vanilla. Add flour and milk alternately, beginning
and ending with flour, mixing on low speed. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pan 10 minutes; invert onto cooling rack and cool completely. Remove wax
- Cut cake into Christmas stocking shape using the photo as a guide. Frost the
upper top of cake with a thin layer of white buttercream to form white top of stocking.
Using 3/4 cup of the white buttercream fill a pastry bag fitted with a star tip.
Pipe stars over the white stocking top. Frost the remaining stocking with green
buttercream. Use remaining white buttercream to outline stocking toe and heel. Decorate
with red candies.
- Buttercream Frosting: Combine in large bowl with mixer at low speed, powdered
sugar, butter or margarine, vanilla and milk or half and half. Beat at medium speed
1 to 2 minutes until creamy. If desired, add more milk to reach spreading consistency.
Remove 1 cup of white frosting and set aside. Tint remaining frosting green.
Yield: 12 to 15 servings
Reprinted with permission from
C&H Sugar Company, Inc. - chsugar.com.