Eshun's Creole Christmas Cake
It is mostly dark boozy fruit held together with cake batter. The cake has no
nuts (although you can add them), which is excellent for people who are allergic.
It can be eaten almost right away. Self-rising flour is available at bulk-food stores
and some supermarkets (substitute 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking
powder, and 1 teaspoon salt).
- 2 cups chopped dried apricots
- 2 cups dried cranberries or cherries
cups chopped dried pineapple
- 2 cups chopped pitted prunes
- 2 cups yellow
- 2 cups Thompson raisins
- 1 cup candied orange peel
- 1 cup chopped
- 1 cup rum
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 cup port
- 1 cup Cointreau
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons bitters
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsalted butter,
- 3 cups Demerara sugar
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups self-rising
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine fruit in a large pot. Stir in rum, brandy, port, Cointreau, water and
bitters. Add cinnamon stick, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and salt. Bring
mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove fruit mixture
to large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for five days, tossing it once
- Prepare cake pans. This is a large amount of cake and will fill eight gift- sized
loaf pans, four 8-inch square pans or any combination of other sizes. Butter pans
and line with parchment paper.
- Heat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Beat together butter and sugar until well mixed. Gradually beat in eggs a little
at a time, adding some of the flour if the mixture starts to curdle.
- Stir in remaining flour. Add fruit mixture with liquid to flour and egg mixture.
I find it easiest to use your hands to do this. Spoon into prepared pans and smooth
the surface. Loosely cover top with a double layer of parchment paper. Bake for
about 2 hours for small pans and up to 3 hours for large ones. Test with a wooden
pick. It should come out clean although the cake will be quite moist in centre.
- Cool pans on rack. Unmold and wrap with foil. Leave for a few days before cutting.
Source: Posted by A Friend at the Recipe Goldmine Forum.