Try your hand at this timeless classic, and you'll see why gingerbread has
endured as a favorite recipe for centuries.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Ground
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup boiling water
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir flour, baking powder, ginger, baking soda and cinnamon in medium bowl.
- Beat butter, sugar and molasses in large bowl.
- Mix in egg.
- Add flour mixture alternately with water, stirring just until blended.
- Pour into greased 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Invert cake onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Reprinted with permission from