Golden Eggnog Cupcakes
Does the thought of eggnog make you yearn for the holidays? Yearn no longer;
these richly delicious cupcakes will satisfy your craving at any time of the year!
- 1 1/2 cups (24 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt; reduce to 1/4 teaspoon
salt if you use salted butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons eggnog flavor
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup dark rum or brandy, optional
- 3 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two standard muffin pans with cupcake
papers or tulip muffin papers.
- Beat together the butter, sugar, nutmeg, salt, and eggnog flavor until light
and fluffy. Beat the eggs in one at a time, beating well after each addition,
and scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl. Stir in the rum or brandy.
- Whisk the flour and baking powder together. Beat in half the flour mixture,
then half the cream. Repeat, being sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the
mixing bowl occasionally.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of batter into each of the prepared cups.
- Bake the cakes for 28 to 30 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through.
When done, the top of a cupcake should bounce back when lightly touched, and
a wooden pick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes in the middle
of the pan should come out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs clinging to
- Remove the pans from the oven. Cool the cakes in the pans for 10 minutes,
then turn them out onto racks to cool completely. If you're going to ice them,
wait until they're completely cool to do so.
- Drizzle with a flavored sugar glaze, if desired. To make glaze, mix confectioners'
sugar with enough milk to make it pourable, then flavor to taste with a couple
of drops of eggnog flavor, or the flavor of your choice.
Hands-on time: 10 mins. to 15 mins.
Baking time: 28 mins. to 30 mins.
time: 38 mins. to 45 mins.
Yield: 2 dozen cupcakes
Reprinted with permission from
King Arthur Flour - kingarthurflour.com.