Holiday Candy Cane Cake
A shape straight from Santa's workshop can transform an easy-to-make cake
into the theme for your next holiday gathering. What a simple joy!
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist yellow cake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (3
ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon
- 2 containers Betty Crocker Whipped fluffy white frosting
- 2 to 3 rolls (from 4.5-ounce box) Betty Crocker Fruit by the Foot strawberry fruit
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease and lightly flour 12-cup fluted
tube cake pan. Or spray with baking spray with flour.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, milk, cream cheese, vanilla extract and eggs with
electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium
speed 2 minutes. Pour into pan.
- Bake 39 to 44 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes; turn upside down onto cooling rack and remove pan. Cool
completely, about 1 hour.
- To assemble, cut cake in half crosswise. Place half of cake on serving plate
to form hook of candy cane. Cut remaining half into 5 equal pieces (about 2 inches
- Stir half of the peppermint extract into each tub of frosting.
- Attach cut
pieces to hook of candy cane with frosting, alternating pieces to form the straight
part of the cane.
- Frost cake.
- To decorate, arrange strips of fruit snack rolls on cake to look like stripes
on a candy cane.
- Store cake loosely covered at room temperature.
Yield: 20 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Bake 43 to 48 minutes.
Special Touch: A few drops of red or green
food color added to the frosting will give your next candy cane cake a whole new
Variation: For peppermint crunch, omit the
strawberry fruit snack and sprinkle the cake with 1 cup of crushed peppermint candy
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 290 (Calories from Fat 110); Total
Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 4 1/2g, Trans Fat 3g); Cholesterol 35mg; Sodium 230mg; Total
Carbohydrate 45g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 32g); Protein 2g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 4%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.