Layered Peppermint Pound Cake
Classic pound cake gets all dressed up with pepperminty whipped cream.
- 3 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1/2
cups whipping (heavy) cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed hard peppermint
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube cake pan or 10-inch
angel food (tube) cake pan.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, butter, vanilla extract and eggs with electric
mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 5 minutes,
scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk on low speed. Pour into pan.
- Bake 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes.
- Remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In chilled large bowl, beat whipping cream and powdered sugar with electric mixer
on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Fold in peppermint candies.
- Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers. Spread 1 cup whipped cream mixture over
1 cake layer.
- Repeat with second layer.
- Top with remaining layer.
- Drop remaining whipped cream mixture in dollops on top of cake.
- Store in refrigerator.
Yield: 16 servings
Special Touch: Add mini candy canes to each
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 390 (Calories from Fat 155); Total
Fat 17g (Saturated Fat 10g, Trans Fat ncg); Cholesterol 105mg; Sodium 200mg; Total
Carbohydrate 54g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars ncg); Protein 6g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 14%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 8%
Exchanges: nc Other Carbohydrate; nc Vegetable Carbohydrate Choices: nc
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit:
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.