Light Eggnog Rum Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
made with pudding
- 1 egg
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups low fat fresh eggnog
(2 to 3 grams fat per 1/2 cup serving)
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon whipped butter
tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 cup fresh low fat eggnog
- Cake: Lightly coat a nonstick or stick resistant 12-cup Bundt cake pan with cooking
spray and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk dry cake mix together with nutmeg in large mixing bowl until well combined.
- In a smaller bowl whisk eggnog together with egg, egg whites and vanilla extract
- Pour liquid ingredients into mixing bowl and mix all ingredients together on
medium speed of an electric mixer for 3 to 4 minutes until well blended.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth out top.
- Bake for 38-40 minutes or until cakes
tests done. Remove cake from oven cool in pan for 15 minutes invert cake pan on
to serving plate. Prick top of cake with fork or tooth pick then spoon or brush
glaze evenly over top and sides of cake. Allow cake to absorb glaze. Repeat until
glaze is gone.
- Glaze: Combine sugar, rum and butter in a small saucepan and bring to boil over
medium heat stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat cool several
minutes and stir in eggnog.
Yield 14 pieces each at approximately 243 calories; 3.5 grams total fat;
1.9 grams saturated fat; 6 milligrams cholesterol; 45.3 grams total carbohydrate;
0.2 gram dietary fiber; 3.5 grams protein; 286 milligrams sodium
High fat version compares at 425 calories and 14.3 grams total fat