Little Chocolate-Kahlua Fruitcakes
- 1 cup butter
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour divided
teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces pitted dates whole
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans toasted
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup
dried apricot halves chopped
- Additional Kahlua
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.
- Grease five 6 x 3 x 2-inch loaf pans. Line bottoms of loaf pans with wax paper;
- Melt butter and chocolate in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring often.
- Stir in coffee granules.
- Remove mixture from heat and let cool 15 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Add egg yolks, stirring well.
2 tablespoons Kahlua and vanilla extract; stir well.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda and salt; add to chocolate mixture. Combine
dates next 3 ingredients; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup flour, tossing to coat.
Stir fruit mixture into batter.
- Beat egg whites at high speed of an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 1
hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans, and brush loaves with
remaining 1/4 cup Kahlua.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Wrap fruitcakes in Kahlua-soaked cheesecloth. Store in an airtight container
in a cool place at least 1 week before serving.
- Pour a small amount of Kahlua over each loaf every week up to 1 month.
- To serve, slice with an electric knife.
Yield: 5 loaves
Per serving: 1473 Calories; 75g Fat (44% calories from fat); 15g Protein;
198g Carbohydrate; 208mg Cholesterol; 667mg Sodium
Source: Christmas with Southern Living 1997