Little Chocolate-Kahlua Fruitcakes
- 1 cup butter
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces pitted dates whole
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans toasted
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup dried apricot halves chopped
- Additional Kahlua
- Grease five 6 x 3 x 2-inch loaf pans. Line bottoms of loaf pans with wax paper;
- Melt butter and chocolate in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring often.
- Stir in coffee granules.
- Remove mixture from heat and let cool 15 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Add egg yolks, stirring well.
- Add 2 tablespoons Kahlua and vanilla extract; stir well.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda and salt; add to chocolate mixture. Combine
dates next 3 ingredients; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup flour, tossing to coat. Stir fruit mixture into batter.
- Beat egg whites at high speed of an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans, and brush loaves with
remaining 1/4 cup Kahlua.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Wrap fruitcakes in Kahlua-soaked cheesecloth. Store in an airtight container
in a cool place at least 1 week before serving.
- Pour a small amount of Kahlua over each loaf every week up to 1 month.
- To serve, slice with an electric knife.
Yield: 5 loaves
Per serving: 1473 Calories; 75g Fat (44% calories from fat); 15g Protein;
198g Carbohydrate; 208mg Cholesterol; 667mg Sodium
Source: Christmas with Southern Living 1997
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.