Merry Meringue Cake
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar at high speed until
- Add 3/4 cup of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until
sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat together butter and remaining sugar at medium speed
until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and beat until thoroughly blended.
- In small
bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to batter alternately with
milk, blending well after each addition.
- Beat in lemon peel and juice.
- Pour into 2 (8 x 1 1/2-inch round) cake pans lined on bottom with waxed paper.
- Spread reserved meringue over batter in each pan, gently smoothing tops.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn off oven. Let stand in oven 5 minutes. Cool on wire
- To serve, stack layers on serving plate or platter.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional information per serving of 1/8 recipe: Calories 323, Protein
5 g, Carbohydrates 44 g, Total Fat 14 g, Cholesterol 138 mg, Sodium 286 mg
Recipe and photo credit:
the American Egg Board.