Peppermint Panache Cheesecake
Candy canes atop the cake hint at the crushed peppermints found in each slice.
- 2 1/4 cups cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 32 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1/3 cup coarsely crushed hard peppermint candies
- 10 ounces premium white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- Small candy bars for garnish
- Combine 2 1/4 cups cookie crumbs and butter, stir well. Firmly press onto bottom
and 2 inches up sides of a (9-inch) springform pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack; let cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Beat cream cheese at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually
add sugar, beating well.
- Add 1/2 cup whipping cream, flour and vanilla extract; beat well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Stir in 1 cup chopped cookies and 1/3 cup crushed peppermint candies.
- Pour batter into prepared crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour or until almost set.
- Remove to a wire rack; let cool completely.
- Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Remove sides of springform pan.
- Bring water to a boil in bottom of a double boiler; remove from heat.
- Combine white chocolate and 1/3 cup whipping cream in top of double boiler; place
over hot water. Heat until chocolate is melted and smooth, stirring constantly with
a rubber spatula.
- Let mixture cool slightly (3 to 5 minutes).
- Spread white chocolate mixture over top and sides of cheesecake.
- Garnish with candy canes.
Yield: 1 (9-inch) cheesecake
Source: Christmas with Southern Living 1995