Red Velvet Cake with White Truffle Frosting
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist German chocolate cake
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 bottle (1 ounce)
red food color
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups white vanilla baking chips
- 2 1/4
cups Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting (from two 1-pound containers)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease
or spray bottoms only of two 8-inch round cake pans.
- In large bowl, beat cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds;
beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Pour into pans.
- Bake and cool as directed on box for 8-inch rounds. Slice each cake layer in
half horizontally to make a total of 4 layers.
- In medium microwavable bowl, microwave baking chips uncovered on Medium
(50%) 4 to 5 minutes, stirring halfway through microwave time. Stir until smooth;
cool 5 minutes.
- Stir in frosting until well blended.
- Place 1 cake layer, cut side up, on serving plate; spread with 1 cup of the frosting.
- Repeat with second and third cake layers.
- Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down; frost with remaining frosting.
Yield: 12 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Follow High Altitude directions on cake mix box.
How To: Splitting cake layers is easy. Insert
toothpicks around side of cake layer to mark middle point. Using toothpicks as a
guide, cut through the layer with a long, thin, sharp knife, or pull a piece of
heavy sewing thread horizontally, back and forth, through the layer.
Variation: For a double-chocolate cake, use
semisweet chocolate chips instead of the white chips and Betty Crocker Rich &
Creamy chocolate frosting instead of the vanilla frosting.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 640 (Calories from Fat 280); Total
Fat 32g (Saturated Fat 12g, Trans Fat 4 1/2g); Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 520mg; Total
Carbohydrate 84g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 67g); Protein 6g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 6%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 5 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Medium-Fat
Meat; 6 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 5 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.