Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream
Cheese Filling and Frosting
Creamy frosting doubles as a surprise filling in rich, red velvet cupcakes.
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® devil's food
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix package
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food color (about 2 tablespoons)
Filling and Frosting
- 12 ounces cream cheese (from two 8-ounce packages), softened
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 9 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size
- Mix cake batter as directed on box, using water, oil, eggs and food color. Fill
muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake cupcakes as directed on box.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove
from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/3 cup butter and 3 teaspoons vanilla with
electric mixer on high speed until fluffy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating
- Beat in 1 tablespoon of the milk. Add additional milk, 1 teaspoon
at a time, until frosting is piping consistency.
- Fit round tip (opening about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in diameter) in decorating bag.
Spoon about 1 1/4 cups frosting into bag. Insert tip in center of 1 cupcake, about
halfway down. Gently squeeze decorating bag, pulling upwards until cupcake swells
slightly and filling comes to the top. Repeat with remaining cupcakes.
- Fit round tip (opening about 1/2 inch in diameter) into decorating bag.
remaining frosting into bag; generously pipe frosting in circular motion on top
of each cupcake, leaving 1/4-inch border around edge.
Store in refrigerator.
Prep Time 50 Minutes
Total Time 1:25 Hr:Mins
Time-Saver: Use 2 containers of Betty Crocker®
Whipped fluffy white frosting instead of the scratch frosting.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 390 (Calories from
Fat 120), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 50mg; Sodium
260mg; Total Carbohydrate 63g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 53g), Protein 2g
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 2 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 4
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.