Red Velvet Peppermint Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (9 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 (16 ounce) boxes confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 6 (5-inch) holiday trees
- Red and white peppermint candy canes, crushed
- 12 (5-inch) green candy canes, broken
- 12 round peppermint candies
- Cake: Beat white cake mix and first 4 ingredients according to cake mix package directions.
- Beat yellow cake mix and next 6 ingredients according to package directions.
- Spoon red batter alternately with white batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch
round cake pans. Swirl batter gently with a knife.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 22 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
- Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed
with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating at low speed until smooth.
- Add peppermint extract, beating until blended.
- Spread Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of
- Cake may be chilled up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month.
- Garnish, if desired.
- Serve within 2 hours.
Yield: 1 (3-layer) cake