Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer Cake
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese,
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 (6-ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate pieces
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup dairy Sour Cream
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 16 M&M’s® milk chocolate candies
- 16 Rolo® milk chocolate covered antlers (antlers)
- 4 Pepperidge Farm®
Double Chocolate Chunk Soft Baked cookies, cut in half (ears)
- 8 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, eggs and extract; mix well and set
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large electric mixer bowl, combine chocolate, butter and water; stir with
a spoon until mixture is melted and smooth.
- Add half of flour mixture to chocolate
mixture and beat on low speed of electric mixer until combined.
- Add sour cream mixture
and beat until combined. Add remaining flour mixture and beat until smooth. Pour
batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely
on wire racks.
- While cakes cool, prepare filling and icing.
- For filling, beat Whipping Cream at high speed with an electric mixer until soft
peaks form; set aside.
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, sugar and extract at medium speed until creamy.
- Fold cream cheese mixture into whipped cream. Stir in nuts, if desired. Chill.
- For icing, melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring
- Cool about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Gradually add powdered sugar,
beating till smooth and easy to spread.
- To assemble, pipe chocolate icing around outer edge of bottom layer. Spread all
but 1 cup filling inside the piped circle. Place second layer on top. Frost top
and sides of cake with icing. Just before serving, cut cake into 8 slices and decorate
as desired using reserved filling, candies, cookies and cherries for eyes, antlers,
ears and nose.
Yield: 8 servings
M&M’s® is a registered trademark of Mars, Incorporated. Rolo® is a registered
trademark of Société des Produits Nestlé S.A. Pepperidge Farm® is a registered trademark
of Pepperidge Farm, Incorporated.
Reprinted with permission from
the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.