A cake mix gives you a head start on these delectable, cream-filled wintertime
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) Betty Crocker® devil's
food cake mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cut into 24 cubes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 egg
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 regular-size muffin cups with paper baking
- In large bowl beat cake mix, water, oil, sour cream and eggs with electric mixer
on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on medium speed 1 minute.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups. Place 1 cube cream cheese in center of each cupcake;
press down into batter almost to center (top of cream cheese will still show).
- Bake 18 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center of cupcake comes
out clean (test between cream cheese and edge).
- Remove cupcakes from pan to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In 2-quart stainless steel or other non-coated saucepan, mix sugar, water and
egg whites. Cook over low heat, beating continuously with electric hand mixer at
high speed until soft peaks form, about 4 minutes.
- Add marshmallow creme; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Spread frosting evenly over cupcakes; sprinkle each with generous tablespoon
- Store cupcakes in refrigerator.
Save time by frosting these retro cupcakes with whipped topping instead of the
Add sparkle to each snowball by sprinkling with edible glitter or decorating
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Cupcake) Calories 220 (Calories from
Fat 80), Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 4 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 25mg; Sodium
220mg; Total Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 23g), Protein 2g
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 1 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker 2010/TM General Mills.