Tangerine Pound Cake
Pound for pound, this fine textured cake, rich in butter and eggs is a winner served plain or dressed up with whipped cream and fruit.
- 3 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated tangerine peel*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup tangerine juice*
- 2 tablespoons rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract
* Orange peel and juice can be substituted for tangerine peel and juice.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and side of 12-cup fluted tube cake pan or 2 (9 x 5-inch) loaf pans with shortening; lightly flour.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat 2 1/2 cups sugar, 1 cup butter, the tangerine peel, vanilla extract and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 5 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk on low speed, beating just until smooth after each addition.
- Pour into pan(s). (If using fluted tube cake pan, place pan on cookie sheet.)
- Bake fluted tube cake pan for 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes, loaf pans 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, heat 3/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons butter and the tangerine juice over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat; stir in rum.
- Immediately poke long skewer into top of baked cake at 1-inch intervals (about 20 times). Spoon glaze over cake, allowing glaze to soak into holes.
- Cool for 20 minutes; remove from pan(s) to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 2 hours.
Yield: 16 servings
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 400 (Calories from Fat 145); Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat ncg); Cholesterol 105mg; Sodium 190mg; Total Carbohydrate 60g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars ncg); Protein 5g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 12%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 4%; Iron 8%
Exchanges: nc Other Carbohydrate; nc Vegetable Carbohydrate Choices: nc
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: