Tucson Lemon Cake
This poppy seed-flecked Bundt cake is crowned with the sweet touch of a lemon
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine,
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup poppy seed
- 2 tablespoons
grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Tart Lemon Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube cake pan.
- In large bowl, beat granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter with electric mixer on
medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Add to sugar mixture alternately
with buttermilk, beating until well blended.
- Stir in poppy seed, 2 tablespoons lemon
peel and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Spread in pan.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix all glaze ingredients until smooth.
- Remove cake from oven. Immediately poke several holes in top of cake with long-tined
fork; pour about 2/3 of the glaze over top. Cool 20 minutes.
- Turn pan upside down onto heatproof serving plate; remove pan. Spread with remaining
Yield: 8 servings
Purchasing: Pick up 4 or 5 lemons for this
fresh-tasting cake, and you'll have all the juice and zest you need plus a little
extra for homemade lemonade.
Substitution: No buttermilk? Simply place
1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar in a liquid measuring cup. Fill to the
1-cup mark with milk and let stand for about 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 625 (Calories from Fat 200 );
Total Fat 22 g (Saturated Fat 12 g); Cholesterol 130 mg; Sodium 480 mg; Total Carbohydrate
101 g (Dietary Fiber 2 g); Protein 8 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 16 %; Vitamin C 4 %; Calcium 12 %; Iron 14
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit:
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.