Wexford Christmas Cake
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup whiskey
- 1 2/3 cups white raisins
- 1 2/3 cups dark raisins
- 1 3/4 cups currants
- 1/2 cup mixed candied fruit, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, ground
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- Heat oven to 275 degrees F. Line 9-inch tube pan with brown paper, then grease the paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Cream butter and and brown sugar gradually, beating until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture and the 1/3 cup whiskey. Blend well.
- Fold in fruit and nuts.
- Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 3 hours.
- Brush hot cake with 1/4 cup whiskey. Cool cake in pan.
- Remove from pan and remove paper.
- Brush with 1/4 cup whiskey.
- Wrap and store in aluminum foil.