Chocolate Almond Rum Balls
Yield: about 36 balls
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cups almond paste, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 boxes (16 cups) vanilla flavored wafers
- 2 cups pecans
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2/3 cups sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups dark or white rum
- 5 cups chocolate sprinkles, about
- Stir chocolate chips in heatproof bowl set over saucepan of hot, not simmering, water until partially melted (the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl).
- Remove bowl from saucepan and continue stirring until melted and smooth; let cool.
- Add sour cream, almond paste and salt; beat until well blended. Set aside.
- Put wafers, in batches, in food processor and process until finely crushed (you should have about 9 cups). Transfer to large bowl.
- Put pecans in food processor and process until very finely chopped; add to crushed wafers.
- Add icing sugar and cocoa powder; mix until well blended.
- Stir in butter and rum until well mixed.
- Using large rubber spatula or hands, mix in chocolate mixture until well blended.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or until mixture is firm enough to shape.
- Shape 1 teaspoon mixture into a ball and coat with chocolate sprinkles.
- Repeat with remaining mixture and chocolate sprinkles.
- Place rum balls on wax-paper-lined jelly roll pans; cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator.