Chocolate-Dipped Glazed Fruits
Yield: about 1 pound
- 1 pound assorted glazed fruits, such as pineapple, peaches, pears, apricots and/or maraschino cherries with stems
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- Line cookie sheet with sheet of greased wax paper or foil; set aside.
- Cut glazed fruit, if large, into chunks; leave smaller pieces, like maraschino cherries, whole. In top of double boiler over simmering water, melt chocolate and shortening, stirring frequently until blended and smooth.
- Remove double boiler from heat, but keep top portion of pan over hot water.
- To dip fruits: Hold maraschino cherries by stems; spear other fruits, one at a time, on fork. Dip fruits into chocolate to cover only bottom halves. Place fruits as they are dipped on prepared cookie sheet; let stand 15 to 20 minutes until chocolate is set.
- Store in tightly covered containers, with wax paper between layers, in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Candied Fruit Fancies: Prepare Chocolate-Dipped Glazed Fruits, as directed, substituting 1 pound candied orange halves and/or glazed pears for assorted glazed fruits, and 12 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped, about 2 cups, for semisweet chocolate chips. Store as directed.