Christmas Delight Candy
- 1/2 pound marshmallows
- 1 small package figs
- 1/2 pound dates, stoned
- 1/2 pound blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 small jar maraschino cherries
- Melt marshmallows over hot water until very soft.
- Grind figs, dates, nuts and coconut.
- Chop and drain cherries.
- Mix all ingredients together well. Pat out to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into squares,
then roll in granulated sugar.
- Chocolate Glaze: In heavy, small saucepan over low heat, heat chocolate and shortening
until melted, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat; cool slightly.
- Remove candy in one piece from pan to cutting board. Spread chocolate over candy;
sprinkle with reserved almonds, pressing them gently into chocolate.
- Set candy aside to allow glaze to set, about 1 hour.
- Break candy into pieces.
- Store in layers, separated by wax paper, in tightly covered container to use
up within 2 weeks.