Holiday Honey Caramels
- 1 cup butter (no substitutions)
- 2 cups honey
- 2 cups whipping cream
cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Finely chopped almonds, optional
- Line bottom and sides of 9-inch square pan with plastic wrap; set aside.
- Melt butter in medium-size heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add honey, cream and brown sugar; mix well. Cook over medium-high heat until
mixture comes to boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and continue boiling,
stirring frequently, until candy thermometer registers 250 degrees F to 255 degrees
F, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract; pour into prepared pan.
- Let cool completely in refrigerator before cutting into individual caramels with
very sharp knife.
- Roll in chopped nuts or coconut, if desired, and wrap each individually in clear
- Store, tightly wrapped in refrigerator up to 1 month.
Yield: 30 caramels
Caramels will be soft at room temperature and firm if kept chilled.
Serving Suggestions: Drop one into a cup of
hot coffee or tea or enjoy this delicious treat on its own.
Reprinted with permission from
the National Honey Board.