Homemade Christmas Candy Canes
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon cream
- Combine the sugar, water, syrup and cream of tartar in a sauce pan and heat till
the sugar has dissolved.
- Divide mixture into 2 saucepans, bring to a boil (do not stir the mixtures in
both pots) until the candy thermometer reads 280 degrees F.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint into each pot and add the red food coloring into
one pot, leaving the other pot plain.
- Oil an enamel or marble surface or slab. Place mixture from one pot and stretch
it like taffy, pulling and forming the mixture into a rope. Set aside and continue
with other pot doing the same thing.
- Take both red and white ropes and twist them around each other again and again.
Cut into desired sizes and form into candy cane shapes.
- Oil the surface lightly again and place candy canes and allow them to harden.
Posted by BettyBoop at Recipe Goldmine 11/14/2001 11:07 am.