Mexican Orange Candy
This is a Christmas specialty.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
rind of two oranges
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup nuts
- Melt the first cup of sugar in a large vessel over medium heat while the milk
is scalding in another saucepan.
- When the sugar is melted (stir continually and watch to keep from scorching),
add the hot milk, all at once, stirring.
- Add the other two cups of sugar to this mixture. This will cause a hard ball
in the mixture, but keep stirring until dissolved. Cook until it forms a hard ball
in water or use a candy thermometer.
- Just before it is done, add grated orange rind, salt, butter and nuts.
- Remove from heat and beat until creamy.
- Pour into a buttered 9-inch square pan to cool.
- Cut into squares when cooled.