Orange Jelly Candy
Yield: about 5 dozen candies or 30 servings, 2 candies each
- 1 box Sure Jell Fruit Pectin
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 5 drops each red and yellow liquid food coloring
- Spray 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Mix pectin, water and baking soda in medium saucepan. (Mixture will be foamy.)
- Combine 1 cup of the sugar and the corn syrup in large saucepan.
- Cook both mixtures on high heat 4 minutes or until foam has thinned from pectin mixture and sugar mixture comes to a full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred), stirring mixtures in both saucepans frequently.
- Gradually add pectin mixture to boiling sugar mixture, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in extract and food coloring. Pour immediately into prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature 3 hours or overnight until candy is cool and firm.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sugar onto large sheet of wax paper. Invert candy onto wax paper. Cut candy into 3/4-inch squares, stopping occasionally to dip knife in warm water. Roll candy in sugar until evenly coated. Place in single layer on wire racks.
- Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature overnight. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Special Extra: Add 1/4 cup chopped Planters Walnuts along with the food coloring.
Variation: Coat candy pieces in 1/4 cup powdered sugar instead of the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Per serving: Calories 70 Total fat 0g Saturated fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 35mg Carbohydrate 18g Dietary fiber 0g Sugars 15g Protein 0g Vitamin A 0% DV Vitamin C 0% DV Calcium 0% DV Iron 0% DV
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Kraft Heinz Company