Classic toffee gets an update with the addition of salty pistachios and a sweet
white chocolate topping. A sprinkle of chopped pistachios on top adds a festive
- 1 1/4 cups shelled pistachios, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 3/4 cup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place pistachios in a single layer in a pan; toast for 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool and coarsely chop; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugars, water and corn syrup. Bring to a
boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium, and continue to boil until mixture reaches 300 degrees
F (hard crack stage), stirring frequently.
- Stir in 3/4 cup pistachios; mix well and pour into a jellyroll pan lined with
buttered foil. Spread mixture into a large rectangle.
- Cool completely.
- In a microwave-safe container, microwave chocolate 30 seconds; stir. Continue
microwaving in 10-second intervals, stirring after each, until chocolate is melted
and smooth, but not hot. Using a spatula, spread over toffee, covering it completely.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pistachios and gently pat into chocolate.
- Place pan in refrigerator for 5 minutes, or until chocolate has set.
- Break into pieces and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Yield: 3 dozen pieces
Reprinted with permission from
the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.