Apricot Butter Slices
Yield: 32 cookies
- 3/4 cup packed dried apricots (about 25)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier)
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- About 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Chop apricots. Combine apricots, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes and then constantly until the liquid reduces by half, about 15 minutes total.
- Add liqueur. Let cool slightly, then transfer to a food processor or blender and puree. (If making ahead, cover and refrigerate; bring to room temperature before using.)
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla extract and egg just until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture just until combined. Dough will be slightly sticky. Form dough into a log about 16 inches long. Cut log into four equal pieces; wrap each piece in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove one log from refrigerator; cut in half lengthwise. With the aid of plastic wrap, roll each half with your hands until it is about 8 inches long. Place the 8 inch rolls on a baking sheet; gently press each piece of dough into an 8 x 1/2 to 1 inch rectangle. Using your index finger, make a canal down the center of each rectangle; fill with apricot mixture. Repeat with remaining dough logs and apricot mixture, evenly spacing four rectangles on each baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned, 18 to 20 minutes. Using a spatula, immediately and carefully transfer logs to a wire rack.
- When logs have cooled completely, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice, using enough sugar to reach drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over rectangles, then slice each rectangle on the diagonal into four strips.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.
Per cookie: 138 calories; 6g fat (39 percent calories from fat); 4g saturated fat; 22mg cholesterol; 1g protein; 20g carbohydrate; 12g sugar; 0.5g fiber; 19mg sodium; 16mg calcium; 57mg potassium