Black Walnut Coconut Bars
Yield: 24 bars
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup black walnuts, chopped
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9 inch square baking pan.
- Cream butter and sugar well, then blend in the flour. Press into the prepared baking pan. It will be difficult to make this smooth; it will smooth out during baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix flour, baking powder and salt, then coconut and walnuts in a small bowl.
- In a medium-size bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer until light, then add the brown sugar and vanilla extract and beat until fluffy.
- Combine the two mixtures and pour over the baked crust.
- Bake for about 18 minutes longer.
- Cool slightly, cut into oblong bars and remove from pan to cool on racks. Don't allow to cool completely in pan because the crust will get hard and difficult to cut.