Candy Cane Cookies 2
Hooked on traditional holiday baking? It's a twist to make these fun peppermint cookies!
Yield: 4 1/2 dozen cookies
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food color
- 2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candies
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Stir together 1 cup sugar, the butter, milk, vanilla extract, peppermint extract and egg in large bowl.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Divide dough in half. Stir food color into 1 half.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir together peppermint candy and 2 tablespoon sugar; set aside.
- For each candy cane, shape 1 rounded teaspoon dough from each half into 4-inch rope by rolling back and forth on floured surface.
- Place 1 red and white rope side by side; press together lightly and twist.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet; curve top of cookie down to form handle of cane.
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until set and very light brown.
- Immediately sprinkle candy mixture over cookies.
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes. (Total time will vary; cook or bake time is per batch.)
To make cookies about the same size, measure dough for one cookie with a ruler, then use that dough to measure all the
Per serving: Calories 85 (Calories from Fat 35 ); Total Fat 4 g (Saturated Fat 2 g); Cholesterol 15 mg; Sodium 45 mg; Total Carbohydrate 11 g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 1 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2 %; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 2 %
Exchanges: 1 Fruit; 1/2 Fat
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: