Candy Cane Cookies 3
Crushed peppermint candies add festive holiday flavor to these simple butter cookies.
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring (optional)
- Approximately 4 to 6 candy canes, crushed
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine butter, sugar, salt and flavoring into large electric mixer bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Stir in almonds and flour until well blended.
- Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a rope and form into a candy cane shape.
- Place on well-buttered or parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat using all of the dough to make 20 to 24 cookies.
- Bake until slightly browned, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Cool on pan until slightly firm, then carefully remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Stir powdered sugar and milk together.
- Add food coloring, if desired.
- Drizzle on cookies and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.