Cherry Almond Cups
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds almond paste
- 1 cup egg whites (about 8 whites)
- 3 cups unsifted cake flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30 candied cherries, cut in half
- Sliced almonds for garnish
- Filling: Place sugar and almond paste in a food processor and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to a mixer bowl and beat in egg whites on medium speed for 2 minutes.
Cover and set aside.
- Dough: Place cake flour, butter and sugar in a mixer bowl. Beat on low
speed until well mixed.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured board. With a 2 1/4-inch
round cutter, cut out circles of dough.
- Fit dough circles into lightly greased mini muffin tins to form cups.
- Fill each cup 2/3 full with the almond-paste filling. Place a few sliced almonds
on top. Garnish each with half of a candied cherry.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Cool in pans before removing.