In just one holiday cheery blink, these cookies can disappear. Double the recipe for the hungry holidays.
Yield: about 3 dozen cookies
- 1 3/4 cups Wheaties cereal
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- About 36 candied or maraschino cherries
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Crush cereal; set aside.
- In large bowl, mix sugar, shortening, milk, vanilla extract and egg.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Drop dough by teaspoonsful into crushed cereal; roll gently until completely coated.
- Place cookies about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Press cherry into each cookie.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or just until set.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
Do-Ahead: Cookie dough can be covered and refrigerated up to 24 hours before baking. If it's too firm, let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 70 (Calories from Fat 25); Total Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat ncg); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 50mg; Total Carbohydrate 10g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars ncg); Protein 1g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 2%; Iron 8%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: nc
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: