Cinnamon Nutmeg Shortbread
This spicy cookie is a fragrant spin on the Scottish staple, shortbread. Shortbread
gets its name from the fact that these cookies are very "short" or rich
in butter. They use no eggs so are very useful when you find yourself needing a
dessert or snack and have no eggs. These cookies are very tasty and freeze well.
- 1 cup unsalted softened butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugars together until light.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl mix together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Slowly blend the flour mixture into the butter mixture until well mixed.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Using a fork or knife, press decorations
into the dough if desired.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges.
- Let cool completely, then cut into desired shapes.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze.