Cream Cheese Cutout Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 to 5 teaspoons milk
- Combine butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat until fluffy.
- Add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla extract and almond extract. Beat well.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to cream cheese and beat until well mixed. The dough will be
stiff—add a little milk, if necessary.
- Divide dough in half.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8" thickness. Cut with desired cookie
- Bake on greased cookie sheets for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack and cool.
- Spread or decorate with Almond Frosting.
- Almond Frosting: In small mixing bowl, beat powdered sugar, butter and almond
extract until fluffy.
- Beat in enough milk to make a spreadable consistency, adding more milk if necessary.
- Stir in food coloring, if desired.
Reprinted with permission from
the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.