Crystallized Ginger Gingerbread People
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped crystallized ginger* (about 3 ounces)
cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime or orange zest, optional
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
* Crystallized ginger, also called candied ginger, can be found at specialty
food markets or online at gingerpeople.com. Look for slices or chunks of crystallized
ginger that are soft.
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter,
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lime, orange or lemon juice, at room temperature
- Crystallized ginger cut into 1/8-inch bits, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together first 8 ingredients; set aside.
- Place crystallized ginger in a food processor with a metal blade. Pulse to coarsely
- Add brown sugar and zest, and process until ginger is finely chopped and incorporated
into the sugar.
- Combine butter and sugar-ginger mixture in a bowl; cream together until light
- Add molasses; beat to combine.
- Add egg; beat to combine.
- Add dry ingredients, and mix to combine.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions and drop onto large sheets of plastic wrap.
Flatten into disks about one inch thick and wrap tightly.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or butter
the sheets. Roll out dough on a well-floured surface, 1 portion at a time (keep
remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/8- to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into shapes. Place
one inch apart on baking sheets.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes.
- Cool cookies on pan for about 8 minutes.
- Transfer directly onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Re-roll dough scraps and cut out more cookies.
- To make icing, combine butter, sugar, salt and vanilla in a mixer bowl. Beat
at low speed, gradually adding juice until the desired consistency.
- Decorate completely cooled cookies as desired using small bits of candied ginger
for eyes and buttons.
Servings: 3-4 dozen
Reprinted with permission from
the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.