Cut Out Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup regular sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/3 cup warm water
- Cookies: In a large mixing bowl with electric beaters, cream together butter
and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat until combined.
- Add sour cream and lemon extract; mix until blended.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Add gradually to
cream mixture with mixer on low speed. Dough will be soft.
- Chill dough thoroughly in refrigerator, 4 hours or overnight.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Using cookie
cutters, cut into shapes and place one inch apart on lightly buttered cookie sheets.
- Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 10-12 minutes. (Cookies will be very light in
- Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Icing: Combine icing ingredients; frost cookies and decorate as desired.
Yield: 7 dozen
Recipe and photo credit:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.