This is an excellent Christmas cookie.
- 2 1/4 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Filling: Combine dates, sugar and water. Cook over low heat until thick, about
- Add nuts. Let cool.
- Cookie Dough: Cream shortening.
- Add brown sugar; cream thoroughly.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift dry ingredients and add. Mix well.
- Chill dough thoroughly.
- Divide dough and roll into rectangles no more than 1/4-inch thick. Spread with
filling and roll. Wrap each roll in wax paper.
- Slice 1/4-inch thick.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes.
Yield: 5 dozen
Unbaked cookies may be kept in refrigerator for a month. May also be frozen.
Bake as needed.