Red and green sugars dress up a best-loved cookie for the holidays.
- 2 tablespoons Betty Crocker Decors red sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Betty Crocker Decors green sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In small bowl, mix red sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the cinnamon; set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix green sugar and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon;
- In large bowl, beat sugar, shortening, butter and eggs with electric mixer on
medium speed, or mix with spoon.
- Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls. Roll in sugar-cinnamon mixtures. Place about
2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until centers are almost set.
- Cool for 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Yield: 6 dozen cookies
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) Bake for 7 to 9 minutes.
Did You Know: Cookie dough can be covered
and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before baking. If it's too firm, let stand
at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Special Touch: These rich cinnamon-sugar cookies
make a great gift! Place a bag of them in a small basket along with packets of cappuccino
or hot chocolate mix.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 60 (Calories from Fat 25); Total
Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 35mg; Total Carbohydrate
9g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 5g); Protein 0g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 0%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.