Jolly Santa Cookies
These cookies will be the highlight of your holiday cookie tray or the perfect
gift for the Santa collector on your list!
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon
grated lemon peel
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy vanilla ready-to-spread
- 3 tablespoons red sugar
- 18 miniature marshmallows
- 36 currants
or semisweet chocolate chips
- 18 red cinnamon candies
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar and lemon peel in large bowl with electric mixer
on medium speed, or mix with spoon.
- Stir in egg and milk.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonsful about 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie
sheet. Press bottom of drinking glass on each until about 1/4 inch and 3 inches
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Spread frosting on cookie (frost and decorate each cookie before starting another).
- Sprinkle red sugar over top third of cookie for hat.
- Press on miniature marshmallow for tassel.
- Press 2 currants for eyes and 1 cinnamon candy for nose into center third of
- Sprinkle coconut over bottom third for beard. (Total time will vary; cook or
bake time is per batch.)
Yield: 1 1/2 dozen cookies
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 270 (Calories from Fat 90 ); Total
Fat 10 g (Saturated Fat 7 g); Cholesterol 25 mg; Sodium 180 mg; Total Carbohydrate
3 g (Dietary Fiber 1 g); Protein 2 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4 %; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 2 %; Iron 4 %
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 2 Fruit; 2 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit:
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.