These are wonderful cake-like old-time cookies.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup walnut pieces or chopped pecans
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pecans, maraschino cherries, or other fruit or nuts for garnish
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream together the shortening and sugars.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each. Beat until light and fluffy.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon
- Add the dry ingredients and the cream, one third at a time, alternating and starting
with the dry ingredients.
- Add the nuts.
- Drop the batter by mounded spoonsful onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 9 or 10 minutes or until done.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter until light.
- Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract and continue beating.
- Add the cream while beating, a little cream at a time, until the mixture is smooth
and of spreading consistency.
- Frost the cookies when cool.
- Garnish with nuts or fruit.