Lemon Oat Shortbread
- 1 pound (4 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons
finely grated lemon peel (firmly packed)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- In large bowl, beat butter, sugar and lemon peel with electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add combined flour, oats, baking powder and salt; mix well.
- Divide dough in half; wrap each half in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour or until firm.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove one portion of dough from refrigerator.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 10-inch square. With sharp knife,
cut into 30 rectangles (each about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide).
- Transfer rectangles to ungreased cookie sheets; prick each rectangle three times
with a fork.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Store tightly covered.
Yield: 5 dozen
Serving Size: 2 cookies
* If using old fashioned
oats, increase the flour to 2 3/4 cups.
Reprinted with permission from