Linzer Sandwich Cookies
With a lovely raspberry filling, stunning linzer cookies add festive flair to
Christmas dessert tables.
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts (filberts)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar, if desired
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread hazelnuts in ungreased shallow baking pan.
- Bake uncovered about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Rub nuts in a kitchen towel to remove loose skins (some skins may not come off);
cool 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn off oven.
- In food processor bowl with metal blade, place nuts and 1/4 cup of the brown
sugar . Cover; process with about 10 on-and-off pulses, 2 to 3 seconds each, until
nuts are finely ground but not oily.
- In small bowl, mix flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set
- In large bowl, beat butter and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar with electric mixer
on medium speed about 3 minutes or until smooth.
- Add nut mixture; beat about 1 minute or until mixed. Beat in egg and vanilla.
With spoon, stir in flour mixture about 1 minute or just until blended.
- Shape dough into 2 balls; flatten each ball into a disk. Wrap separately in plastic
wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours until firm.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Remove 1 dough disk from refrigerator. On well floured
surface, roll dough with floured rolling pin until about 1/8 inch thick. Cut with
2 1/2-inch cookie cutter in desired shape.
- On ungreased cookie sheets, place cutouts about 1 inch apart.
- Roll and cut other half of dough. Using a 1-inch square or round cutter, cut
out the center of half of the cookies.
- Reroll dough centers and cut out more cookies.
- Bake 4 to 5 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- Remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack.
- Cool about 10 minutes.
- Lightly sprinkle powdered sugar over cookies with center cutouts. Or drizzle
with powdered sugar icing, and sprinkle with colored sugars or decors. Spread about
1 teaspoon raspberry jam over bottom side of each whole cookie. Top with a cutout
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
prep time 60 min
total time 4 hr
Nutritional Information Serving Size: 1 Sandwich Cookie: Calories 170 Calories
from Fat 80 Total Fat 9g Saturated Fat 4 1/2g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 25mg Sodium150mg
Total Carbohydrate18g Dietary Fiber 0g Sugars 7g Protein 2g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 4%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from