Nutmeg Cookie Pretzels
Delicious cookies folded in a traditional pretzel shape and sprinkled with coarse
granular or turbinado sugar on top.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Challenge Butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
nutmeg (ground or freshly grated)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk (reserve
- 1 teaspoon imitation rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup coarse granulated or turbinado style sugar
- Cream butter, sugar, nutmeg and salt until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, egg yolk, rum extract and vanilla until well blended.
- Gradually add flour to butter mixture; blend thoroughly.
- Cover dough and refrigerate at least 1 hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Scoop out 1-inch size balls of dough. Roll each piece with hands into 6 to 8-inch
long, pencil shaped strip.
- Twist into pretzel shape by crossing one side of the strip to the middle forming
a loop and then crossing the other side over the first loop forming a second loop.
- Place about 1-inch apart on a lightly buttered baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the pretzels with the egg white then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool.
- Store in an airtight canister.
Yield: 4 1/2 dozen
Reprinted with permission from
Challenge Home Economist - Challenge Dairy.