Pennsylvania Dutch Brownies
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/8 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease 13 x 9-inch metal baking pan; set aside.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, melt butter with chocolate over low heat.
- Remove saucepan from heat. With wire whisk or fork, stir in molasses, then eggs.
- With spoon, stir in flour, ginger, cloves, baking soda, salt, 1 cup sugar and
1 teaspoon cinnamon just until blended.
- Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted 2 inches from edge comes
- Meanwhile, in cup, combine remaining 2 teaspoons sugar and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon;
- Remove pan from oven; immediately sprinkle brownies with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Cool brownies in pan on wire rack at least 2 hours.
- When cool, cut brownies lengthwise into 3 strips, then cut each strip crosswise
into 5 pieces. Cut each piece diagonally in half.
Source: Good Housekeeping Christmas Joys - Hearst Books