A quick and easy cookie that is sure to win the popularity prize at your Cookie
Swap—naturally fat free and fabulous!
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint
extract, to taste
- 2/3 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
- Red and green food coloring,
paste or gel
- Place egg whites, cream of tartar and peppermint extract in deep mixing bowl.
Beat on high setting until whites form soft peaks.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, continuing to beat on the highest
setting, until mixture is shiny and will hold a stiff peak.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Arrange both racks spaced in center of oven—you
will be baking two sheets at a time (this time, it's OK to stack!)
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper.
- Fit two 10-inch pastry bags with large round tips (we used tip #1A). Fold edge
of bag backward, like a cuff, to keep the mouth wide. This will make “stripe painting”
a snap. Using small paintbrush, paint several “stripes” of red food color inside
one pastry bag. Be sure to start painting inside the tip and carry the stripes up
to 2/3 height of the bag. Fill bag with 1/2 the mixture and immediately pipe “kisses”
about 1/2 inch apart on the lined baking sheet.
- Repeat this process, using the remaining pastry bag, green food coloring and
remaining egg white mixture.
- Place both baking sheets in oven together; bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn off oven; allow baking sheets to remain in oven with door closed for an
additional 30-40 minutes or until crisp, but not browned.
- Carefully remove “kisses” from baking sheets; store in airtight container at
Gel and paste food coloring are available wherever cake decorating supplies are
Recipe and photo credit:
C&H Sugar, Inc. - chsugar.com.