Peppermint Whoopie Pies
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 (7.5-ounce) jar marshmallow fluff
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candies (about 50 peppermint discs)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and
salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar with electric mixer until light and
- Add egg and extracts; mix well.
- Slowly add flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating, beginning and ending with
- Cover dough and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto parchment-lined baking sheet, placing
cookies 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies for 9 to 12 minutes, or until firm.
- Cool cookies on pan 3 to 5 minutes or until set, then transfer to wire rack to
- For filling, in a large bowl, cream together butter, fluff, and vanilla extract
until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar slowly; mix well.
- Spread flat side of half the cookies with heaping tablespoon of filling; top
with second cookie to create sandwich.
- Roll edges in crushed peppermint candies; chill cookies to set filling.
- Store unfilled cookies and filling in airtight containers in refrigerator for
up to 1 week, and filled cookies for up to 3 days.
- Bring cookies to room temperature before serving.
Yield: 3 dozen sandwich cookies
Recipe and photo credit:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.