- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Red decorating sugar,
- Cream butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer.
- Add confectioners' sugar; beat well.
- Beat in the egg and extracts.
- Blend in the flour and salt.
- Form the dough into two disks and wrap them in plastic. Chill the dough
- Remove one disk from the refrigerator.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into
1 1/2-inch squares, then cut from each corner of the square almost to the center.
Turn over every other cut point to the center and press gently, forming a pinwheel
(or poinsettia). Sprinkle the center of each with red sugar.
- Repeat with the second disk of dough.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cookies on greased baking sheets and bake until very lightly golden,
about 8 to 10 minutes.
Yield: about 5 dozen cookies