Sparkling Star Cookies
A touch of finely chopped almond adds flavor and texture to these star-shaped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons edible glitter (any color) or candy sprinkles
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix granulated sugar, butter and egg in medium bowl.
- Stir in flour, almonds,
baking soda and salt.
- Divide dough into 3 parts. Roll each part 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured
cloth-covered surface. Cut with 2- to 2 1/2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter.
Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 6 to 7 minutes or until edges are light brown; Cool completely, about
- Mix powdered sugar and water until smooth and a thin spreading consistency.
- Spread very thinly on cookies. Sprinkle with edible glitter.
Yield: 5 dozen cookies
(Total time will vary; cook or bake time is per batch.)
Success: When you don't fill up your cookie sheet, you end up with unevenly
baked cookies. If you don't have enough cookie dough to fill a cookie sheet,
use an upside-down cake pan instead.
Variation: Who can resist a star sandwich? Spread about 1 tablespoon of ready-to-spread
frosting on a cookie; sandwich two cookies, bottoms together.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 60 (Calories from Fat 20 ); Total
Fat 2 g (Saturated Fat 1 g); Cholesterol 5 mg; Sodium 40 mg; Total Carbohydrate
9 g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 1 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2 %; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 0%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 1/2 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit:
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.