Spiced Holiday Sugar Cookies
A twist on traditional sugar cookies, this recipe offers a pinch of nutmeg for
holiday inspired flavor that kids and adults alike will enjoy!
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Nutmeg, Ground
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 to 4 drops McCormick® Assorted Food Colors and Egg Dye
- Cookies: Mix flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium-high
speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Gradually stir in flour mixture until well mixed.
- Refrigerate dough for about 1 hour or until firm.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface* to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut into shapes with favorite cookie cutters. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on baking sheets 1 minute.
- Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Glaze: Mix all ingredients except food colors. (Stir in additional
milk as needed to thin Glaze or more confectioners' sugar to thicken, if
needed.) Place small amount of glaze into small shallow bowls, using one bowl
for each color desired. Stir drops of food color into glaze until desired shade
- To decorate cookies, hold cookie by its edge and dip top of cookie into
glaze. (Or spoon the glaze onto cookie using a teaspoon.) Place glazed cookies
on wire rack set over foil-covered baking sheet to dry. (The foil-covered baking
sheet will catch drips.)
- Add decorative details to cookies as follows: Spoon tinted glaze into resealable
plastic bag. Snip off a tiny piece of the corner. Squeeze glaze through hole
in plastic bag to decorate cookies.
- If desired, Colored Sugar may be sprinkled onto freshly glazed cookies.
Yield: 7 dozen or 28 (3 cookie) servings | Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 8 to 10 min per batch | Refrigerate Time: 1 hour
Test Kitchen Tip: Mix 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar to use
for dusting surface.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories: 151 Fat: 7 g Carbohydrates:
21 g Cholesterol: 25 mg Sodium: 107 mg Fiber: 0 g Protein: 1 g
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.